🏷️ Quick info (1⭐)
Description: Slovak dumplings with fermented cabbage
Author: Andrej (Forked from Bryndzové Halušky by Andrej)
Category: Main dish
No image uploaded
📜 Ingredients for ➖ 5 ➕
- 1 kg potatoes (type B, "starchy")
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g bacon and/or speck
- 500 g fermented cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbs salt
- Peel the potatoes and grate them on the fine side of a box grater.
- Squeeze out most of the liquid from the potatoes and mix-in flour and salt.
- Add cold water (the volume depends on your potatoes and flour - you should end up with a wet, chunky dough that can be passed through a sieve and still hold some shape).
- Cut the bacon/speck into small cubes and fry in a non-stick pan. Bacon should be fried until it's crispy - to achieve this, remove the excess liquid regularly (optionally you can reserve it for topping).
- Slice the onion and fry it in a pan until translucent. Add fermented cabbage, season with salt, pepper and caraway seeds. Fry for approximately 5 minutes, then add water and stew until cabbage is soft.
- Bring a large pot of salty water to boil.
- Cover the pot with sieve with large holes (haluškár or flipped grater) and pass the first batch of the dough through the sieve into the boiling water (batch size depends on your pot, all the dumpling should be fully submerged in water).
- Remove the sieve and stir the dumplings in a pot. Let them boil for approximately 3 min (they should feel firm), then remove them with a strainer.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the dough is used.
- Serve the hot dumplings with cabbage and bacon topping.