Bryndzové Halušky ⭐
🏷️ Quick info (3⭐)
Description: Slovak sheep cheese dumplings
Category: Main dish
No image uploaded
📜 Ingredients for ➖ 5 ➕
- 1 kg potatoes (type B, "starchy")
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g bacon and/or speck
- 400 g sheep cheese (brynzda)
- 250 ml sour cream
- 1 tbs salt
- Peel the potatoes and grate them on the fine side of a box-grater.
- Squeeze out most of the liquid from the potatoes and mix-in flour and salt.
- Add cold water (volume depends on your potatoes and flour - you should end up with a wet, chunky dough that can by passed through a sieve and still hold some shape).
- For the cheese sauce combine brzndya with sour cream and mix with a hand mixer until no chunks are visible.
- Cut the bacon/speck into small cubes and fry in non-stick pan. Bacon should be fried until it's crispy - to achieve this, remove the excess liquid regularly (optionally you can reserve it for topping).
- Bring a large pot of salty water to boil.
- Cover the pot with sieve with large holes (haluškár or flipped grater) and pass the first batch of the dough through the sieve into the boiling water (batch size depends on your pot, all the dumpling should be fully submerged in water).
- Remove the sieve and stir the dumplings in pot. Let them boil for approximately 3 min (they should feel firm), then remove them with strainer.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the dough is used.
- Serve the hot dumplings with cold sauce and bacon topping.