Roasted Sweet Potato Mac ⭐
🏷️ Quick info
Description: A creamy vegan cheesy sauce made from sweet potatoes and roasted garlic
Category: Main dish
No image uploaded
📜 Ingredients for ➖ 6 ➕
- 500 g pasta, gluten free if desired
- 680 g sweet potato
- 1 garlic clove
- oil for roasting
- salt for roasting
- 0.6 dl olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp chickpea miso
- 0.5 cup cashews, soaked (optional) or 1 tbsp cashew paste
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 0.6 dl arrowroot or corn starch
- 0.6 dl nutritional yeast
- 0.5 cup vegan parmesan*, plus extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Prepare the sweet potato by peeling and cutting into a large 2.5 cm dice. Place on a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet. Toss in a little oil and a sprinkle of salt to roast. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then an additional 15 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a fork, and slightly caramelized on some edges.
- Prepare the garlic by peeling off the extra papery skin and then cut the top 1/4" off to expose the cloves. Pour a teaspoon of olive oil over the head of garlic and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake alongside the sweet potato for 30-40 minutes. Give the garlic a few minutes to cool before handling.
- When the sweet potato and garlic are finishing up in the oven, preheat a pot of water for the pasta. When it's ready, cook according to package directions.
- Once the vegetables are done roasting, remove from oven and add the sweet potato a blender. When the garlic is cool enough to handle pop the roasted cloves into the blender. Add the cashews (if using), broth, nutritional yeast, miso, teaspoon of salt, and black pepper and blend until smooth.
- In a heavy bottomed large pot, add the olive oil and arrow root and cook over medium low heat for a few minutes. Stream in the cheese sauce from the blender, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until hot and bubbly. Add the vegan parmesan, cooked pasta, and taste for seasoning.
- If desired at this point you can transfer to an oven safe dish, top with a little extra vegan parmesan and bake for 15 minutes, or broil for a couple minutes (watch carefully to prevent burning).
- You can substitute all purpose flour or a gluten free flour for the starch if desired
- Vegan parmesan: Process 1/2 cup pecans, 1/2 cup cashews, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt, and 3/4 cup nutritional yeast in a food processor until finely ground. Taste and adjust salt or garlic as desired.